On September 5, 2008 I gave birth to 4 beautiful babies Samantha, Bridgette, Theodore "Teddy" and Madeline. Nine days later on September 14, 2008 Madeline was called to Heaven. So begins my journey of raising my Quadruplets as Triplets. They will always be my Quads!!

Friday, September 5, 2008

The Birth Story

The day started out fairly normal. I had just been put on a Terbutaline pump the day before, which was a huge help in stopping contraction​s that day. I did my normal morning hospital routine, and was hooked up to the contraction monitor. My contraction​s started to come 7 minutes apart, so I gave myself a bump in Terb med. (That gives the dose of a shot) All seemed well and they slowed down for all of 20 minutes and were back to 6 -7 minutes apart. Again I was told to give a bump in Terb. It seemed to calm them down. An hour and a half later they were back and 5 minutes apart. At this point my Doctor ordered me to be hooked up to Magnesium Sulfate (the Big Gun). The initial dose seemed as though it was working. Then they came back, Doctor checked my cervix and I had started to dialate to 1cm. She upped the Mag. and it did nothing upped it again and still nothing. Checked me and I was at 2cm.

At that point they alerted the NICU to call in the extra staff for the Quads arrival (a total of 12 doctors and nurses just for the babies). I had already called Don to tell him there was a good chance the babies would arrive. He was waiting for his sister to arrive to watch the big girls until Grandma could get there. I called him back to let him know they were definately coming and that he had 1.5 hours until all of the staff would be here and the C-Section would start.

Don arrived at about 7:50PM we were both nervous. I was terrified of the surgery to come. At 8:10PM Baby As' (Bridgette) water broke. I left my room at 8:25 wheeled to the surgery room. I was given a spinal, this numbed me from my lower chest all the way to my feet. The actual surgery sarted somewhere around 8:40. At 8:53 Samantha made her debut folowed at 8:54 by Bridgette then Teddy and at 8:55 Madeline arrived. The Doctor held each baby up for me to see before he/she was wisked away with his/her team.

Don left and followed the babies and came back to update me on weights and all the stats. He would run back and forth. I will still be in the surgery room for another hour before moving to recovery. Afterbeing in recovery for 1.5 hours I was moved back to my room, I was able to take a quick peek at Bridgette on my way to the room. The other 3 were getting IV's.

I only slept about 3 hours the whole night.

No comments:

Post a Comment