So here is Alexis holding her list she made up of what we need to make the volcano!! And a book, it was one we had already. We read from the Usborne Children's Encyclpedia about volcanoes (part of the curriculum), and bonus we already had this book for more in depth reading!!
For some reason I can not get my video to upload but I do have it on You Tube so here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/QBRATS?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/0/6Ksa5_Sc6qc .
The building and anticipation were alot better than our first attempt, but we lost the funnel and Dad made a make shift one from newspaper. But all night Alexis talked about building another one outside as big as the house, so we will do this experiment again. :)
Thanks for checking in on us.
Glad to hear Alexis is very interested in science. Here's an experiment I showed our "nieces" last year at the cabin. It's called a non-neutonian fluid. It's normal state is fluid, but if you apply pressure, it becomes a solid. Ketchup is actually the opposite (it liquifies as you apply pressure).
ReplyDeleteSo the difficult, hard to remember recipe for this non-neutonian fluid?
Corn Starch
Water
Start with about a cup of each, make sure it gets mixed together. As you're mixing, you should start to see it acting kind of odd. If it doesn't, you need more corn starch.
Definitely advanced science for K (I think Dr. Barber and Mr. Ryan taught me this one in Jr/Sr year), but it's a lot of fun, and the corn starch washes off anything.